The Business Unit (BU) Safety Manager -- Industrial Hygienist administers the safety program and serves as safety advisor for all job sites in the Business Unit, ensuring safety compliance by the project team and all employees and subcontractors working at the sites. For this role, the individual with support our Federal Fuels and Federal Environmental business units, and will conduct and execute on site Industrial Hygiene (IH) baseline surveys (baseline workplace assessments), ventilation evaluations, air sampling, fuel tanks, and/or noise surveys, and alternate light construction projects. Data such as workplace and environmental monitoring, engineering and administrative controls, PPE, observation of work practices, and employee health hazard education and training will be collected, evaluated, entered and stored.
The position can be based in Concord, CA; Irvine, CA; Denver (Englewood), CO; or Phoenix, AZ. Other locations where there is a Gilbane office can be discussed though locations outside of Concord, CA will require additional travel.
• Serve as a safety professional resource to project teams throughout the Business Unit
• Monitor project-specific implementation of Gilbane Safety programs
• Ensure project teams understand and comply with Gilbane safety plans and best practices
• Ensure project teams have access to safety equipment and resources
• Develop project safety plans based on risk assessment
• Develop safety professional relationships externally and participate in industry peer meetings and with OSHA
• Serve as IIF coach and facilitator in all IIF related training and meetings
• Advise Business Unit and Project management of meaning and interpretation of all OSHA and Gilbane related standards
• Provide safety training as needed
• Conduct on-site Industrial Health surveys to characterize potential workplace hazards and exposures
• Provide management support for on-site activities to include kick-off and exit briefs with client and site technical representatives
• Provide subject matter expertise performing evaluations of work environments & industrial processes involving potentially hazardous environmental condition
• Provide expert level recommendations for issue resolution and corrective measures ensuring desired outcomes are achieve
• Use industrial hygiene equipment and sampling techniques for standard chemical and physical hazard
• Evaluates processes, related hazards and hazard controls, as well as personnel performing the proces
• Document workplace stressors with sufficient duration and frequency to cause injury, illness, or death to personne
• Document methods used and actions taken to mitigate hazards
• Plan and complete work in a manner that reflects commitment to and supports achievement of quality, environmental, and occupational health and safety goals.
• Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years professional, broad-scope IH experience
• Certification as a Certified Industrial Hygienist or CIH.
• Federal government experienced preferred
• Light construction experience is preferred
• Current United States passport or ability to get one
• Current secret clearance or the ability to get one
• Or equivalent combination of education and experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Comprehensive knowledge of construction safety principles, techniques and methods
• Comprehensive knowledge of OSHA laws, regulations and policies, especially with California industrial hygiene regulations
• Experience collecting, analyzing, interpreting and evaluating data to assess trends and developments
• Knowledge and experience with the following standards:
-- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Industrial Ventilation Manual
-- United Facilities Criteria (UFC)
-- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)/American Society for Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
• Capable of identifying known potential exposures and recommending corrective action
• Strong computer skills and familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite
• Management, leadership and interpersonal skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Gilbane offers an excellent total compensation package which includes competitive health and welfare benefits and a generous profit-sharing/401k plan. We invest in our employees’ education and have built Gilbane University into a top training organization in the construction industry. Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.