The Project Controls Manager is capable of fulfilling the cost and schedule requirements of multiple large projects or programs, including day-to-day interface with project management, client and contractor personnel, while overseeing and developing junior to mid-level project controls staff.
• Successfully manage the relationships between the support operations functions—estimating, planning/scheduling, cost control, and contracts—for a project or program.
• Contribute to the interpretation of the proposal or project contract. Develop and execute the strategy and plan for project control activities that support the overall proposal strategy or project requirements. Identify risk areas and recommend mitigation plans.
• Establish and effectively leverage cross-discipline relationships within the business unit to facilitate project controls.
• Understand emerging business/industry trends and the implications of these trends on cost control, planning/scheduling, and estimating.
• Provide cost control and planning/scheduling leadership on strategic initiatives within a business unit. Advise and counsel in areas of expertise.
• Review and contribute to the interpretation of the request for proposal or project contract. Help identify risk areas and participate in mitigation planning.
• Create, implement, and execute proper controls to proactively support, monitor, and communicate budget, actual status, and forecast costs, labor hours and quantities for business unit and cross-business unit projects.
• Lead the management of cost and quantities on projects and assist with risk management. Develop and execute systems of control to manage the most critical measures and provide timely feedback to project and business unit management.
• Be familiar with contingency management.
• Develop, publish, and promote the use of department procedures.
• Establish and maintain a work process that identifies and quantifies project cost trends. Take direct action to either include trends in the forecast or develop a mitigation program with the project team.
• Provide consistency between cost control and planning/scheduling
• Supervise the development and issuance of timely cost control reports. Prepare and issue cost control analysis narratives including recommendations for corrective actions that are used by business unit management and project teams to manage the work.
• Define and advise the project team to take specific actions to effectively manage cash flow.
• Supervise the development, approval, and issuance of client and internal status reports that effectively communicate cost status and trends. Motivate the project team to define corrective actions for implementation.
• Develop, via a top-down approach, project work plans and schedules that support the project/business unit work processes and milestones.
• Baseline and issue network-logic-driven schedules that meet the needs of, and are used by, the project team.
• Update schedules with actual progress and forecast remaining durations, project milestones, and completion dates.
• Mentor more junior level staff on proper change control and time impact analysis procedures. Support the project team with change identification, documentation, schedule fragnets, and costing.
• US Citizenship required
• BS or AA in Accounting, Finance, Business, Engineering, Architecture or related field
• 10-15 years of progressive experience with increasing responsibility
• Or equivalent combination of education and experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Develop, implement and train on standard and project specific cost control procedures in accordance with the Division and/or Business Unit procedures.
• Identify and communicate key cost issues to project/construction and operations management in a timely manner to allow corrective action to be implemented.
• Tutor and guide project controls staff in project controls fundamentals, procedures and guidelines.
• Deploy and modify project control systems as appropriate to support project specific execution requirements.
• Implement / effectively use / train on company-standard and industry- standard project controls tools and systems to include Primavera Products, MS Project, Deltek Acumen Fuse, etc.
Gilbane offers an excellent total compensation package which includes competitive health and welfare benefits and a generous profit-sharing/401k plan. We invest in our employees’ education and have built Gilbane University into a top training organization in the construction industry. Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.